How To: Do A Castor Oil Pack
Castor oil packs are an easy, inexpensive, and relaxing way to help your body detoxify. Castor oil increases circulation, improves detoxification, and reduces inflammation.
These properties can be used to support liver detoxification by increasing blood circulation through the liver. Your liver is the organ that cleans out all the metabolic wastes from your blood, essentially taking all the used up and broken down hormones, food wastes, and environmental toxins out of circulation for elimination like a giant, squishy Brita filter.
Castor oil promotes detoxification further by helping to improve bowel efficiency (aka it helps you poop more often). Pooping often is important because the longer your poop sits around in your intestines before being evacuated, the more toxins and wastes are actually reabsorbed into the blood stream which then have to be filtered out again. Like a terrible merry-go-round of toxins in and toxins out!
It is sometimes said that inflammation is the root of all disease. So keeping inflammation in check is vital to maintaining your health. Inflammation can be a beneficial reaction in your body as it brings with it clean up and repair cells to an injured area. But when your body is unable to calm down the inflammation response, your tissues can become damaged and susceptible to greater injury or disease.
Castor oil can be applied to any inflamed area of your body. Areas of inflammation often include your liver, your bowels, your uterus (menstrual cramps anyone?) and aching joints and muscles.
Ready to give it a shot?
Here’s what you’ll need:
· Organic, Hexane-Free Castor Oil in a glass bottle http://amzn.to/2fFlNi4
· Clean flannel cloth http://amzn.to/2i0uCUk
· Heating pad or hot water bottle http://amzn.to/2w4fjgA
· A towel or other cloth that you don’t mind getting oil stains on
· Netflix, a good podcast, a real live paper book, or your e-reader
1. Gather your supplies and decide where you would like to spend the next 60-90 minutes relaxing.
2. Be aware that castor oil is thick and stains. Make sure there isn’t anything around that you will cry over if it gets an oil stain or two. This is not the time to wear your fancy jammies and cuddle with your blanket from when you were a baby.
3. Fold your flannel into a size that will cover the area you want to focus on:
a. The right side of your abdomen under your rib cage for liver/gallbladder
b. Lower pelvis (below your belly button for menstrual cramps, hormone balance, fibroids, or really any other uterine issue
c. Your breasts for fibrocystic breasts
d. Sore joints, skin rashes or other inflammatory issues
4. Soak your flannel with castor oil. The oil will kind of pool onto the cloth and slowly absorb. You can fold the cloth to spread it around. It’s a good idea to do this over a sink in case you get a little carried away and have runoff. You want the cloth to be soaked but not dripping.
5. Wrap the soaked flannel onto the area you would like to focus on and cover with the towel or cloth you don’t mind getting dirty. This will protect your surroundings and heat source from becoming oily.
6. Make sure you have your phone, remote, charger, headphones, or whatever else you will need to maintain your comfort during your mandatory chill out time and make yourself comfortable on your couch or bed.
7. Once you are situated comfortably, cover the packed area with your heat source, sit back relax, and enjoy this time devoted entirely to your own well-being.
8. Leave the pack on for 60-90 minutes (or however long you reasonably can if you have kids).
9. When you are done, carefully remove the heat, towel, and pack. Most of the oil will have been absorbed into your body, but you can wipe off any excess oil with your towel or rub it into your skin. Just remember not to put on your favorite clothes until all the oil is absorbed.
10. You can store your castor oil soaked flannel in a mason jar and use it again and again, adding more oil as you need to. Keeping it in the fridge can help protect the oil from oxidation and make it last longer, however you will want to avoid putting a cold pack on your body – make sure to take it out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature before applying.
Epilogue – Like with anything, there is room for modification to this protocol. Try it a couple times to see what works and doesn’t work for you. If you find a way that works awesomely for you, let me know! I love innovation!
Please note: if you experience heavy periods, you may want to avoid doing castor oil packs on the lower abdomen during your period. Castor oil packs increase circulation and may make your period heavier.
Disclaimer: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I only link to products that I have used and liked.